A funded four-year PhD position is available in the Faculty of Forestry at the University of British Columbia under the supervision of Ignacio Barbeito. The expected start date is September 2022.
We are seeking a highly motivated person to conduct research on the role of mixed forests management for enhancing the resilience of forest stands to disturbances such as droughts and insects, which are on the rise in western Canada. This is critical for sustaining future timber production, biodiversity and ecosystem structure and function. The successful candidate will examine existing mixed-species silvicultural trials in coastal and interior forests of BC with variable spacing and species proportions using a combination of remote-sensing tools and high-resolution temporal growth and physiological data. The objective is to provide key recommendations to guide the design of effective strategies to establish and manage mixed-species forests.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to contribute novel and original insights to forest management in the face of global change
- Training in statistics and experimental design, remote-sensing techniques and reproducible research
- Mentorship and support in an expanding team
- A competitive salary and support for scholarships
- Participation in local and international scientific conferences and meetings
- Collaboration with end-users in government and industry
- Commitment to excellence, diversity and impact
- A Master’s degree (or graduation before September 2022) in forest science or related fields from an approved institution
- Ability to contribute to a positive environment in an inclusive and diverse team
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Taking pride in original and high-quality work
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in data analysis and modelling including R, or similar programs
- Experience or an interest in novel technologies
- Experience in writing and publishing of peer-reviewed articles
- Driver’s license and willingness to lead fieldwork in locations across BC
- Willingness to participate in mentoring undergraduate research assistants
How to Apply for this PhD Opportunity in Mixed Forests Establishment and Management
Applications are open now and accepted until February 15, 2022. You will need:
- A brief letter of intent that describes the candidate’s academic and career goals as well as research interests and relevant experience
- A current CV
- Contact information for three academic references
Please send all of your material to Ignacio Barbeito, Assistant Professor of Silviculture, email@example.com, and feel free to send inquiries about this position.
While we thank all candidates for applying, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
This posting is for the UBC Vancouver campus in British Columbia, Canada. In our team, we strive to create a positive and safe work environment. We believe that diverse backgrounds are essential for academic excellence. We, therefore, encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups.