Lower North Thompson Community Forest Society
2022 UBC Community Forest Internship
Are you looking to gain work experience in the forestry industry and would love to participate in a variety of different field tasks? The Lower North Thompson Community Forest Society (LNTCFS) is looking for two UBC students to join our team for the 2022 summer.
Where: Barriere, BC
Students will be responsible for providing their own accommodation although we have been successful in providing assistance with locating rental accommodations in the past. Living in Barriere will be easiest for commuting however students can choose to live in Kamloops or Clearwater.
When: Summer 2022 (May 2 to August 26 – 17 weeks)
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willing and physically able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Able to operate in a team environment.
- Previous forestry experience is an asset
- Have a valid Class 5 Driver`s License
- legally entitled to work according to relevant provincial/territorial legislation.
Preference will be given to given to:
- Youth aged 15 -30
- Canadian citizens, permanent resident, or someone who has been granted refugee status in Canada; and
- Indigenous students and other visible minorities
- Students who identify as LGBQT2S
What we offer:
- Opportunities for students to gain experience to enter the forest industry including the following training and certifications:
- Occupational Level One First Aid
- Bear Awareness
- S100 Basic Fire Suppression and S185 Fire Entrapment Course
- Provision of tools and equipment necessary to complete the tasks assigned to them. Students will be responsible for providing basic personal protective equipment (cruise vest, rain gear etc.);
- LNTCFS will provide first aid kit, emergency whistle, and $150 boot allowance
- Opportunity to learn safe off-road driving habits and side-by-side operation.
- Opportunities to participate in a range of forestry activities such as:
- Forest Planning and Development
- Recreation and Community Events
- Forest Research
- Forest Operations
- Milling / Value-added Activities
Please submit your resume to LNTCFSociety@telus.net
Interviews will take place virtually through Zoom or Skype.