To solve the world’s biggest environmental challenges, first, you need the tools to understand them.
The University of British Columbia’s Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM) is an accelerated, 9-month, professional master’s degree program that provides essential training in the use and application of geospatial tools used to plan, develop, manage, and evaluate programs to protect and regulate natural habitats and renewable natural resources.
Why Choose the MGEM Program?
The use of geospatial data, tools, and technologies is crucial for making informed decisions that impact environmental management. This interdisciplinary degree blends landscape ecology training and quantitative spatial skills development to prepare graduates to tackle pressing environmental issues across multiple sectors.
Get hands-on experience.
Apply geospatial data to real-world challenges in environmental management through labs, projects, and workshops.
Expand your professional toolkit.
Gain expertise in geomatics technologies, methods, and tools grounded in emerging landscape ecology theories and principles.
Learn from the best in the field.
Courses are taught by our world-class faculty members, alongside the UBC Sauder School of Business and the UBC School of Public Policy & Global Affairs.
Connect with people from around the world.
As a globally-recognized faculty, we welcome outstanding students from over 40 countries annually.
What Will you Learn?
This 9-month professional master’s program combines a mix of theory and hands-on learning, beginning with a week-long welcome retreat.
- An intensive landscape ecology course on landscape and ecosystem modeling and environmental management
- Analytical and quantitative courses in GIS, remote sensing, image processing, spatial statistics, spatial data analysis, and programming
- Sector-focused project management training
As an MGEM graduate, you will be equipped to:
- model landscapes and ecosystems for planning and assessment
- integrate landscape ecology concepts with geomatics-focused tools for environmental management
- use geospatial data to address environmental concerns
- work in a variety of sectors – including academia, consulting, industry, government, NGOs, and the private sector
Online MGEM Information Session Recording
Get to know the MGEM team, learn more about the program, and hear all the questions answered by students like you by watching a recording of the 2021 MGEM Information Session.