Live your passion for environmental stewardship by taking a Masters in Sustainable Forest Management.
The University of British Columbia’s Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM) is an intensive, 9-month, course-based master’s program that prepares students for careers as professional forest land managers in North America and overseas.
Why choose the MSFM program?
The MSFM program is designed for naturally inquisitive leaders who enjoy working outdoors and have a passion for environmental stewardship.
Professional forest land managers are essential for healthy, sustainable, and productive forests, on which we depend. This accredited professional degree uses the principles and practices of sustainable forest land management to produce graduates equipped to fulfill this need.
Get hands-on experience
- Coursework includes hands-on fieldwork and real-world experience in the fundamentals of land management, land information acquisition and analysis, site-level management and sustainable land management.
Become a Registered Professional Forester
- As a graduate, you will have the expertise to obtain your Registered Professional Forester (RPF) designation.
Learn from the best in the field
- Benefit from a world-renowned faculty with leading-edge expertise in the area of sustainable forest management.
What will you learn?
- The program prepares you to design and implement site-level and landscape-level plans that integrate the environmental, social, and economic components of sustainability.
- As a graduate, you will be ready for career opportunities in government, industry and consulting organizations. Graduates from the 2018 year seeking employment in the Canadian forestry sector were all successful with a 100% employment rate.
The MSFM curriculum is accredited the Canadian Forestry Accreditation Board, and by the Society of American Foresters.