MF Tuition & Funding

Each UBC TRANSFOR-M student will pay the UBC MF tuition and student fees for a minimum of two years (6 terms), but will receive a tuition fee waiver at the Host University in Europe.  European misc student fees may be assessed.
Tuition is $4,897.85* CDN per year for domestic students (Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents), divided into three installments payable at the beginning of each term (first week of September, January and May).
Tuition is $8,604.67* CDN per year for international students (all students requiring a Study Permit for entrance to Canada), divided into three installments payable at the beginning of each term (first week of September, January and May).  Eligible international students receive the International Tuition Award which is valued at up to $3,200 per year.
*These are fees for the 2018/19 academic year. Tuition fees are reviewed annually by the Board of Governors. In recent years, tuition increases have been 2% for continuing domestic students and between 2% and 5% for continuing international students. All fees are subject to adjustment by UBC at any time; for more information on tuition and other fees, please refer to the UBC Calendar.

Graduate Student Fees

In addition to tuition, UBC graduate students are also assessed mandatory student fees, which include an Athletics and Recreation Fee, a public transit pass (U-Pass) fee and membership fees for the Graduate Student Society (GSS) and the Alma Mater Society (AMS). You’ll also be charged for mandatory extended health and dental insurance coverage, unless you can demonstrate that you already have equivalent coverage.  These fees are assessed for the full period of MF registration.

Other Expenses to Plan For

Tuition does not include accommodation in Canada or Europe, nor does it cover any travel expenses.
Please refer to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website for complete details on cost of living in Vancouver.


  • Needs-based Funding
    In-depth information about needs-based funding such as loans, bursaries and other types of financial aid is available from the UBC Student Services office. MF students may apply for UBC bursaries, but must be in receipt of full Canadian Government student loan funding and have “unmet need” after their loan funding as determined in their loan assessment. UBC bursaries are non-repayable awards. They are designed to help fill unmet need, the gap between your assessed financial need and available government assistance. Refer to the UBC Student Services Awards Scholarships and Bursaries website for complete details.
  • Paul Heller Memorial Fellowship in International Forestry
    A $20,000 fellowship is offered by the Paul and Edwina Heller Memorial Fund in memory of Paul Heller. Preference is given to a Master’s student enrolled in an international exchange program in the Faculty of Forestry. The fellowship is awarded to an incoming MF student in the TRANSFOR-M program with preference given to a student studying forest management, silviculture, wood science, advanced renewable materials, fire science, entomology, forest genetics, or interaction of forests and agriculture. This award is merit-based and assessment is made through review of the student’s program application, no additional award application is required. Criteria assessed includes academic standing, other awards, and engagement in the field of study and community. The successful recipient will be notified at the start of their program.
  • Faculty of Forestry Graduate Student Travel Award
    For course-based Master’s students, the award provides support for students to participate in professional development directly related to their area of study. It cannot be used toward internship expenses or student workshops. CBM students are eligible to use the fund once during their degree (one activity) to a maximum of $600 pending funding availability. Funding is limited each year and will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants. Students currently enrolled in the MF, MSFM, MIF and MGEM programs should refer to the application form for complete eligibility details and procedure and payment information.