Current Students FAQs

In order to be a successful candidate for any exchange programs, you need to have at least 70% average in the winter term (September to April) of the year in which you apply.
You also have to be a registered full-time student in an undergraduate or graduate degree seeking program at UBC.

The Faculty of Forestry has many forestry specific exchange agreements. Depending on what program you are in, on which courses you need to take to be promoted to the following year, on how long you are willing to go for on exchange and on whether you have or want a second language, we can help you choose the country and program that will best suit your academic needs. E-mail the International Student Recruiter/Advsior to schedule an appointment.

Going on exchange is more affordable than you might think. The cost of studying at most of our partner institutions is comparable to the cost of spending a year at UBC.

Undergraduate Forestry students can study on exchange in their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year (however, you must return to UBC for at least one term after your exchange).

Once you have carefully picked the university that will best suit your program's requirements; with the help of your program advisor, you should search the partner university's calendar (we do have copies of the actual calendars in the International Library in the Student Services Centre, but the most up-to-date ones are on-line). There is always the chance of a course being cancelled at the last minute, same as here. If that were the case, as soon as you can you should fax us the outline of the course you're thinking about taking and the International Office will give it to your programs advisor for her/his review.
NB: The best way to be 100% sure of whether or not the courses that you're taking at the partner University are fully transferrable is to fax the outlines to us (604-822-8645) as soon as possible, so that your advisor has the chance to review them and tell you the equivalencies.

It really depends on what University you'll choose but in general the answer is "NO", you do not have to go for a full year. If an Intensive Study Tour is offered by any of our Partner Universities you can go for as short as a three week period.

Not necessarily. If you do consult with your program advisor and the Forestry International Office before going on exchange, chances are you won't spend an extra year at UBC. Please keep in mind that you will have to return to UBC for at least one semester after your exchange, which should not affect you since, usually, students go on exchange during their 2nd and 3rd years.

UBC has exchange agreements with several English speaking countries or countries where English is the language of instruction. Though immersing yourself in a foreign language not only will give an advantage for you future career, it will also give you a better understanding of that culture.

If you are interested in going to an institution where the language of instruction is not English, you will have to demonstrate your proficiency in that language. In most cases, we will arrange for you to have a language proficiency interview. If you are a native speaker of the language of instruction, this requirement may be waived. As you will be studying with local students in mainstream programs, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction at the level required for understanding lectures, reading course material and producing assignments in that language.
Most students decide to go before the beginning of class and take an intensive course in the chosen language.

The application is listed on-line. Keep in mind that the application deadline varies depending on where and when you have decided to go on exchange. View this year's deadlines.

In most cases the answer is "YES" as long as UBC and the partner University agree to it. Of course, if you'd like to go a few weeks before the school year starts you are welcome to do so. Please note that you will be responsible for your own health insurance and finding a temporary accommodation until the official start of your exchange.
You can also stay in the country after the official program ends, again you will be fully responsible for your insurance and accommodations, and for making sure that your visa allows it.

First, should contact the International Student Advisor/Recruiter to see if there are any universities that would suit your program the best and which courses from which university were transferred over in previous years. Then, you should check the course offering at the partner university and draft a tentative study plan for the top three universities that you’d be interested in going to. You then contact your program advisor to discuss your academic plan.

You will continue to be a UBC student. You will pay regular full-time tuition/program fees at UBC and you will be eligible for all UBC scholarships, loans and bursaries as if you were here. Please attend the pre-departure meetings organized by Go Global because there are things you need to do while abroad in order to be considered for scholarships.

Of course you can! Just like any other undergraduate student, as long as you meet the requirements.

Decisions on graduate students are made on a one to one basis. Once you have your supervisor’s approval, and a clear research/study plan laid out, you should book sometime with the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. Only then you should make an appointment with the International Students Recruiter/Advsior, who will help you with the final details.

Incoming Students FAQs

If your institution is one of UBC partners, you have to apply through your International office and meet the requirements that they have set. If you are chosen by your University to come to UBC on Exchange, your application will then be sent to UBC and it will be reviewed by an UBC officer. UBC, then, will make the final decision and officially inform you and your Institution whether or not you have been accepted into the program.

You will have to ask your institution. Exchange agreements may slightly differ from one another. Usually the language requirement is waived as long as the selection process takes into account the candidates' English proficiency.

If you are starting your year at UBC in September you should really consider taking part to Fall Camp (FRST 351). It usually takes place the last week of August (the week before classes start – classes usually start the day after Labour Day). Please send an info request to the International Student Recruiter/Advisor.

The most accurate way is to contact your international office or check out your institution's International website. To be 100% sure that you have indeed found an up-to date list of partners - which of course includes UBC - check the UBC Go Global website to find out more.

If you are planning to come for a period of time less than or equal to 6 months, then you will not need a Student Permit. If you are coming for a whole year then you must apply for a Student Permit before getting here. Either way, we do encourage you to apply for a Student Permit just in case you have the opportunity of extending your time here at UBC. For the application form and additional information, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Although housing on campus is very limited, exchange students are guaranteed on campus accommodations- as long as you meet all of the deadlines; if you are a late applicant then on campus living arrangements cannot be guaranteed any longer.
In your acceptance package you will receive a housing application, fill it out as soon as possible and do not forget to pay the deposit - if the application is all complete but missing the deposit your application will not be processed until the deposit is received.

In the acceptance package you will find the course selection form, fill it out and send it back to us and we will take care of registering you in the courses of your choice. Or if you'd like you can do it yourself on-line through the Student Service Centre.

Depending on when you are starting your exchange, September or January, you should then get the official acceptance letter from the Student Exchange Programs Office, respectively, by the end of May or September. As soon as you receive the letter and if you need to have a Student Permit, apply for your student permit right away!

It depends on a number of things but above all on the following:
a. The specifics of the exchange agreement between UBC and your institution.
b. Your Study Permit.

It is an absolute must! You can either purchase it in your home country or within the first week or so that you are in Canada. View additional information on Medical and Health Insurance

Some courses are restricted, which means you will not be able to register for them, some others might be full. You should send an e-mail to the International Programs Advisor, who will then try to work something out for you.