Wood Products Processing
If you are innovative, like engineering and problem solving, the Bachelor of Science in Wood Products Processing is ideal for you. This award-winning program is a fusion of science, engineering and business. Students gain a comprehensive understanding of wood science, business and advanced manufacturing operations. They also develop essential transferable skills such as problem solving, communication, leadership and teamwork. Students can choose to complement their science degree with a Minor in Commerce.
Co-op is another exciting option that integrates career-related experience into their academic studies. The program was developed in direct response to the demand for university graduates qualified to become the leaders of tomorrow in the wood products sector. The extensive facilities of the Centre for Advanced Wood Processing—Canada’s national centre of excellence for wood products—support the delivery of this unique program by UBC’s Department of Wood Science. Proud Winner of the Yves Landry Foundation Award for the Most Innovative Manufacturing Technology Program at the University Level and the Alfred Scow Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Student Experience and Learning Environment at the University of British Columbia.
BSc Wood Products Processing students, in conjunction with the Centre for Advanced Wood Processing, have opportunities to get involved with innovative projects. A couple recent examples include:
Far Coast Furniture
Students from UBC’s BSc Wood Products Processing program and Emily Carr University’s Industrial Design program worked together to design sets of outdoor furniture that were at the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic venues in Vancouver and Whistler. Students worked in the Centre for Advanced Wood Processing’s manufacturing lab throughout the summer of 2009 to build and finish the furniture.
Podium Project for the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games
A team at UBC’s Centre for Advanced Wood Processing played a central role in creating the 23 distinctive wooden medal ceremony podia and 84 medal trays that were seen on the world stage. The CAWP team included technical staff and current and past students. The team utilized the state-of-the-art MasterCAM computer-aided-design software and SCM computer-numerical-control processing centres in the CAWP manufacturing lab to program and cut the more-than-250 unique parts required for each of the podia. View more information about this and other projects at CAWP.
- Pursue an interdisciplinary degree and explore science, engineering and business
- Study at Canada’s national centre of excellence for wood products
- Enjoy excellent facilities, including our $2 million wood products manufacturing facility
- Join a cohort of like-minded peers
- Benefit from smaller class sizes and an interactive learning environment
- Support from committed faculty members and student services staff
- Take advantage of our Co-op and Minor in Commerce options
- Develop contacts and mentors through employer events and networking opportunities
- Discover diverse career opportunities in the wood products sector and related fields
- Secure management positions with excellent starting salaries and opportunities for advancement
Dual Degree Option
Earn a Bachelor of Science in Wood Products Processing and a Master of Management in 4.5 years with the Forestry Dual Degree program.