Discover your place among tomorrow’s international forestry leaders.
The University of British Columbia’s Master of International Forestry (MIF) is an intensive, 10-month, course-based master’s program that provides the knowledge, skills, and tools required to address the social, environmental, and economic challenges of the global forest and natural resources management.
Why Choose the MIF Program?
Today’s forest conservation and resource management decisions are made in continuously changing landscapes and global agreements are being negotiated. International competition for forest products and services is increasing. Decision-makers and practitioners must be prepared to compete in a rapidly changing social, economic, and cultural setting.
Get the skills major international employers want
- The MIF empowers graduates to seek, negotiate, and implement solutions for complex global forest challenges, and most importantly, to adapt and succeed in a rapidly changing world.
Expand your professional network
- Gain exposure to the world’s leading forest institutions and connect with networks of internationally experienced forestry and natural resource management professionals.
Study at a top 20 University
- UBC is amongst the World’s leading universities for forest issues, it is a founding partner in the International Partnership for Forestry Education and consistently ranks among the top 20 universities in the world.
What Will you Learn?
The program offers a mix of experiential learning and real-world experience over 8 months of full-time learning followed by 6-12 weeks through placement or in the guided study.
Courses covering a wide range of topics, including:
- Evolving trends in forests and society
- Social, community, and Indigenous forestry
- Integrated natural resources management
- Natural resource economics and environmental finance
- Forest business enterprise
- International forest governance and policy
- International forestry institutions, diplomacy, and negotiations
- Leadership and management workshops will improve your skills to work with international organizations