My research interest includes:
- Quantitative analysis of complex forestry datasets in various areas: tree improvement, tree plantation, experimental trials, permanent sample plots (PSPs), fertilization trials etc.
- Educational research on subject-specific teaching evaluation and identify effective implementation plans.
- Effectiveness of open sources for teaching and learning geospatial data analysis using Python.
- Quantifying quality control tool based on machine learning approaches
- Meta-modelling and meta-analysis of tree mortality, damaging agents (rust), tree growth and yield, tree fertilization
- Modelling and forecasting improved genetics
Hybrid Teaching and Learning Pilot Project
Current March, 2021 – August, 2021
- 2020 Natural Sciences Education Outstanding Reviewer, Natural Sciences Education, American Society of Agronomy
- Best poster award, 3rd prize, UBC, Faculty of Forestry 2015
- Brenda Hanson Memorial Scholarship, UBC, Faculty of Forestry 2015
- Mary and David Macaree Fellowship, UBC, Faculty of Forestry 2013
- Strategic Network Enhancement Initiative (SNEI) 2012
- Donald S McPhee Fellowship, UBC, Faculty of Forestry 2013
- Vandusen Graduate Fellowship in Forestry, UBC 2010
- Graduate Student Travel Award 2011
Selected PublicationsAhmed, S.S., LeMay, V., Yanchuk, A., Robinson, A., Marshall, P., and Bull, G. (2020). Meta-Modelling to Quantify Yields of White Spruce and Hybrid Spruce Provenances in the Canadian Boreal Forest Forests 11(6): 609
Ahmed, S.S., Cool, J. and Karim, M.E. (2020). Application of decision tree-based techniques to veneer processing Journal of Wood Science 66
Jang, W., Eskelson, B.N.I., De Montigny, Louise, Bealle Statland, C.A. and Sattler, D. and Ahmed, S.S. (2019). Stand growth responses after fertilization for thinned lodgepole pine, Douglas-fir, and spruce in forests of interior British Columbia, Canada Canadian Journal of Forest Research 49(11):1471-1482
Ahmed, S.S. and Cool, J. (2018). Analysis of veneer drying process in a big data settings to improve performance MITACS accelerated program and Coastal Wood Industry. Vancouver, BC, 49 pp.
Ahmed, S.S. and LeMay, V. (2017). Meta-Analysis of Interior Fertilization Module in BC Interior Species Trials Internal Report for BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resources Operations, Forest Practices Branch, Victoria, BC, 23 pp.
de Montigny, L., Ahmed, S.S. and LeMay, V. (2016). The effects of planting density on the growth and yield of lodgepole pine, interior spruce, interior Douglas-fir, and western larch: 16- to 26-year results from EP964 Prov. B.C., Victoria, B.C. Tech. Rep. TR098. https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/pubs/Docs/Tr/TR098.htm
LeMay, V. and Ahmed, S.S. (2015). EP 964: Meta-analysis of rust incidence in BC lodgepole pine spacing trials. Internal Report for BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resources Operations, Forest Practices Branch, Victoria, BC, 16 pp. Appendices.
Ilga Porth, Mark Boyland, Suborna Ahmed, Yousry A. El-Kassaby, Gary Bull (2015). Forest Genomics Research and Development in Canada: Priorities for Developing an Economic Framework The Forest Chronicle 91:1-13.
LeMay, V. and Ahmed, S.S. (2014). EP 964: Spacing trials for lodgepole pine, interior spruce, interior Douglas-fir, western larch, and mixed lodgepole pine/interior spruce of British Columbia. Internal Report for BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resources Operations, Forest Practices Branch, Victoria, BC, 16 pp. + Appendices.
Ahmed, S.S. and V. LeMay (2013). Meta-Regression to Scale Tree Mortality Models to a Regional Scale NSERC Strategic Network ForValueNet Research Note No. 15.