Turn your passion into professional qualifications
The University of British Columbia’s Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM) is an intensive, 9-month, course-based master’s program that prepares students for careers as professional forest land managers in North America and overseas.
Why choose the MSFM?
Professional forest land managers are essential for healthy, sustainable, and productive forests, on which we depend. This accredited professional degree uses the principles and practices of sustainable forest land management to produce graduates equipped to fill this need.
Path to become a Registered Professional Forester
The MSFM curriculum is accredited by the Canadian Forestry Accreditation Board, and by the Society of American Foresters.
Study at a top 20 university.
UBC is a founding partner of the International Partnership for Forestry Education and consistently ranks among the top 20 universities in the world.
Learn from the best in the field.
Benefit from a world-renowned faculty with leading-edge expertise in the area of sustainable forestry management.
Connect with people from around the world.
UBC’s Faculty of Forestry welcomes outstanding students from as many as 40 countries.
What will you learn?
As an MSFM student, you will spend 9 months studying full-time on UBC’s Vancouver campus. The program’s curriculum includes a mix of coursework, hands-on fieldwork, and real-world experience, including:
- The fundamentals of land management, land info acquisition and analysis, site-level and landscape-level management, and sustainable land management
- Two one-week field camps, including one in a research forest
- Integration of diverse skills and problems to address
As an MSFM graduate, you will be equipped to:
- Design and implement site-level and landscape-level plans that integrate the environmental, social, and economic components of sustainability
- Become a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) with member agencies of the Canadian Federation of Professional Foresters Associations (including the Association of BC Forest Professionals) or a Certified Forester® with the Society of American Foresters
- Find employment in government, industry, and consulting organizations (100% of MSFM 2018 graduates seeking employment in the Canadian forestry sector found positions: 14 with consultants, 5 with Industry, 5 with the Provincial government and 1 with municipal government.)
Is the MSFM program right for you?
The MSFM program is designed for naturally inquisitive leaders who enjoy working outdoors and have a passion for environmental stewardship. The skills taught in this program are suited to those interested in becoming active participants in the decision-making process of forest land management. This includes:
- Current forestry professionals who are interested in connecting with other industry professionals, building their network, and advancing their careers
- Aspiring forestry professionals with an interest in sustainable forest management and an undergraduate degree in a complementary discipline