UBC’s bioproduct research covers a wide range of products, from big timbers to tiny cellulose nanocrystals, leading in renewable and sustainable innovations. World-class research includes plant biotechnology breakthroughs for better biochemical production and creating biocatalysts for aviation biofuels. UBC’s bioproducts research also introduces new processes, like 3-D printing of wood nanomaterials, contributing to the future of Canada’s bioeconomy.
Examples of our research
- Biochemical conversion of biomass to renewable liquid fuels and chemicals
- Biology and chemistry of wood fibers
- Ultra-lightweight “aerogel” materials for green building materials and energy storage devices
- Creating biodegradable plastics from lignin
- Nanocellulose modification