Faculty of Forestry Co-op Program
As the largest forestry school in Canada, the Faculty of Forestry at UBC is nationally recognized for its education programs and quality of research while helping to meet the needs of the increasingly knowledge-based forestry and conservation sectors.
With 6 diverse undergraduate degree programs and the highest levels of forestry research funding in Canada, we are well positioned to meet the future opportunities and challenges in education and research.
We offer undergraduate programs in Forestry (Resources Management & Forest Operations), Forest Sciences, Natural Resources Conservation (Global Perspectives & Science and Management), Urban Forestry, and Wood Products Processing.
What is Co-operative Education?
Co-op Education enables students to integrate their academic studies with valuable work experience by alternating classroom learning with paid work terms. Participating students gain up to twenty months of employment experience by the time they graduate. Participating employers have access to an excellent staffing resource for peak periods or special projects, as well as the opportunity to recruit, train and assess potential future employees. Co-op students are available for four, eight or 12 month work terms commencing each year in January, May and September.
Our return on investment in this venture has been great – allowing co-op students to get the field experience they need while helping us accomplish work we normally would not have the time or resources to touch.
- Co-op students are pre-selected for academic excellence and personal attributes and will quickly become productive, highly motivated contributors to your organization.
- A flexible and adaptable way to staff peak periods and special projects
- Screening potential for future employees; which can reduce future recruitment costs
- Professional and friendly service from Forestry Co-op staff and students
- On-going support for both employers and students during work terms
- Students bring current skills and knowledge from their academic programs to the workplace
- An opportunity to help shape the leaders of tomorrow