International Students

International Students

All international students are welcome to apply to the UBC Forestry Co-op Program. Not only can you gain valuable work experience but you can also explore other parts of British Columbia or Canada by going on work terms outside the Vancouver area.


International students pay the same fees for being a part of the Co-op Program as domestic students. Find out more about co-op fees.

Employment Authorization

All international students must obtain Employment Authorization (a work permit) from Immigration Canada prior to going out on their first work term.

It is extremely important that you allow sufficient processing time, so submit your application at the beginning of the semester prior to your work term!

Application Process

  • Familiarize yourself with the terms of working in Canada while on a Student Authorization at You should also review the information about co-op work permits on the UBC Student Services website.
  • Obtain a copy of the Immigration Canada Application Form IMM1249, order a kit by calling (604) 666-2171, or visit the International House on campus.
  • Complete the form and make sure to include:
    1. Letter of Studentship obtained from your Co-op Coordinator
    2. Photocopy of passport pages showing the passport number, the dates of issue and expiry, name and date of birth, the stamp made by Canadian Authorities on your most recent entry into Canada and any other marked pages
    3. Photocopy of immigration documentation (i.e. Student Authorization)
    4. Unofficial transcripts for your last two periods of study (if applicable)
  • Meet with an International Student Advisor at the International House to ensure you have completed your application correctly.
  • Mail your completed application to:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada: Work Permit
For Co-op, Off-campus and Post-Grad only
Case Processing Centre
6212-55th Avenue -Unit 777
Vegreville, AB T9C 1X6

  • You should receive a letter regarding your status within 25 calendar days of mailing your application. If you wish to inquire about the status of your application after 25 calendar days, you may call 604-666-2171.

Please Note: The fee for the work permit is waived for all Co-op students. You DO NOT have to pay the processing fee discussed in the application.
Once you receive your work permit, submit a copy to your Co-op Coordinator.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

In order for your employer to add you to their payroll, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). If you will be working outside of the province during your co-op work term, you must submit your application for a social insurance number while you are still in BC to avoid processing problems and payroll delays.
Application Process:

The fastest way to get your SIN is to gather all the required documents and go to a Service Canada Centre in person. You will get a Social Insurance Number within 10 business days of your visit, and you won’t have to send your personal documents in the mail.

Need Assistance?

Don’t hesitate to contact your Co-op Coordinator. You can also visit the International House on campus as it provides direct services to international students in order to help ease their transition to UBC.

International Work Term Opportunities

International work term opportunities are sometimes available, in addition to the local and national work term opportunities available to Forestry co-op students in the Faculty of Forestry.

To date, co-op students have worked in Australia, China, Chile, Costa Rica, Finland, Ecuador, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Haiti, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Uganda, and the United States.

Map of the World

Contact your Co-op Coordinator if you are interested in pursuing an international work term. It may also be possible to arrange an international work term in conjunction with the Exchange Program.